There are more reasons to want to increase testosterone than there are colors in the rainbow. Some want to cut body fat while others want to grow sperm count. Women may need higher T-levels to gain muscle mass as they age. No matter the motivation, higher T-levels could benefit a wide spectrum of people.
There are injections, patches, creams, gels, and implants that can integrate more testosterone in the body, but many people prefer to approach the problem naturally.
In Ayurveda tradition, for example, health problems are approached from a prevention perspective rather than a treatment regimen. This ancient Indian practice is considered to the be the oldest healing science. The name literally translates to “The Science of Life.” It utilizes a combination of food, herbs, and lifestyle to find balance in the body. Practitioners believe there are three energies in the body that must be equal to maintain health: vata, pitta and kapha.
From this, we can all gain powerful knowledge about how to eat to reach our health and life goals. Please continue reading to educate yourself on which foods will raise T-levels and which items can plummet them. Also, avoid elements that create more estrogen which stifles T production.
Testosterone Rich Food
Vitamin D is an important element in testosterone rich food. Items that contain or support Vitamin D production in the body are a great way to raise T-levels. Options for that include:
- Tuna. Just one serving meets the daily requirement for Vitamin D. You can also substitute other Omega 3 heavy fish here like salmon.
- Vitamin D fortified Milk. The calcium and vitamin D in milk work together synergistically. Low-fat versions are better.
- Eggs. Eggs are a nearly perfect food. Full of protein, low-fat, and the yolks are yolked (pun intended) with Vitamin D.
- Beef Liver. This organ meat is packed with Vitamin D, more than red meat alone.
- Beans. Fiber-rich beans support digestive function while giving the body zinc and vitamin D.
- Shrimp. Protein-packed shrimp are high in vitamin D while also providing antioxidant benefits.
Foods High in Testosterone
Few foods are high in testosterone themselves, most just support metabolic functions. But there are some you should add to your diet:
- Pine Pollen. Trees utilize the pollen to spread their seed and you can take advantage to spread yours. Males can immediately absorb the testosterone into the bloodstream instead of waiting for the body to make its own.
Foods that Increase Testosterone
Zinc is another building block for foods that increase testosterone. Great sources of zinc include:
- Fortified cereal. Pick a whole grain version that is full of zinc and vitamin D for the best results.
- Oysters. This aphrodisiac contains high levels of T-level boosting zinc.
- Shellfish. Another item from the sea to boost zinc. Crab and lobster both fit the bill.
- Beef. Beef liver may hold the record for vitamin D, but ground beef or chuck roast are high in zinc.
Foods that Boost Testosterone and Lower Estrogen
Eating foods that boost testosterone and lower estrogen promotes balance in the body supporting the Ayurveda principles.
- Pomegranates. In one study, a group of impotent men drank a glass of pomegranate juice every day. Forty-seven percent showed an improvement in their condition. It is also believed that the fruit is anti-estrogenic.
- Broccoli and Cauliflower. Cruciferous vegetables contain DIM (Di-Indolyl Methane) that helps balance hormones in the body.
- Celery. Low-calorie celery is good for more than just shrinking belly fat. It contains androstenol and androstenone, enhancing compounds similar to testosterone. Several other elements in this vegetable inhibit estrogen production.
Foods that Kill Testosterone
Avoid these foods that kill testosterone:
- Diet soda. Artificial sweeteners like aspartame are bad for you for lots of reasons including they can make your libido take a dive.
- Soy. While tofu has been marketed as a vegetarian health food, soy products mimic estrogen and will kill testosterone. Females should avoid eating too much soy, found in lots of processed foods, because it has been linked to breast cancer.
- Sugar. We are producing sugar at an alarming rate in the U.S. and it’s having horrible effects on our health. Not only does it increase diabetes diagnosis, it can harm testosterone.
Foods that Increase Testosterone Naturally
A list of the best foods that increase testosterone naturally are:
- Olive oil. Studies showed healthy fats in olive oil boosting T-levels by 17%. It also reduces cholesterol.
- Cortisol, the stress hormone, can be an enemy of T-levels. Foods high in testosterone will combat stress and lower the bad hormone levels to obtain hemostasis. Example:
- Garlic. One of garlic’s key components is the element allicin. Allicin lowers cortisol and the rest of garlic works as an anti-inflammatory and anti-biotic which can support bodily functions too.
To read more about healthy foods and boosting testosterone, please see [link] for more information.